Sunday, February 26, 2012

Looking to get back to "normal"

While I hate having sick kids, I'll admit to kind of enjoying having a weekend at home, even though we missed a basketball game and scouting banquet. We're still recovering from an eventful week.
It started last weekend when Alexis had a major choking episode. We are hear by banning Lexi from all circular foods. She was taken to the hospital where they got the grape out, but she vomited and then aspirated. She had to be taken by ambulance to St. Vincent hospital in Indy to monitor her overnight for aspiration pneumonia. It was terrifying. She stayed one night and came home on Monday with no restrictions.
She returned home and even spent 2 minutes on the naughty bench later that day. She was back in full force. (Her cheeks were still pink from the tape that held the oxygen tubing on.) You'd never know by looking at her, all that she'd been through, but it's been next to impossible to get her to put herself to sleep since then.

Alexis still had a full week despite a hospitalization. On Wednesday and Thursday she had her evaluations to start developmental preschool in April. I didn't get any feedback yet on how it went but she loved going into that room full of toys and adults to pay attention to her, and she was just as happy when I arrived to pick her up. We'll get the results of the testing in the next few weeks and have her case conference on March 16.

Alexis got new glasses. The others have been held together with superglue for several weeks now. The new ones aren't as cute, are thicker, and don't fit as well, but were covered by insurance. Hopefully they'll last more than a week, but as often as Lexi pulls them off, I'm not taking bets.
As for me, I'm running my first 10K next weekend as part of my preparation for running the Mini marathon. That's right, me, Queen of the Couch, Master Napper, has taken up running. I knew that signing up for the mini would force me to stick with it, that and my girlfriend, brother, and uncle are also running it. My knees and shins are no longer speaking to me, but I was very excited to complete a full 8 miles today. Yeah me! Iced knees and ibuprofen cocktails are becoming a norm now.

We're approaching Pinewood Derby time. My boys didn't get anything done over the weekend as J had hoped, but they started cutting and sanding a few days back. Jason is incredible with his patience and teaching (with them, not so much with me :)
Here's hoping for a calm and normal new week!

1 comment:

  1. So glad Lexi is up and running again. Thank Good! I'm REALLY loving the picture of the "boys at work" in their safety glasses!

    ReplyDelete