Monday, December 7, 2009

8 months!

8 months old today! Maybe I'll buy her a pony!

I was looking at some pictures the other day (we have a few. Have you met JoJo? We have paparazzi in the family). I was looking at some pictures from before she had her heart surgery. I remember thinking, "she doesn't look sick at all." I will always admit I am biased, but I remember these thoughts of how "the heart condition can't possibly be that bad since she looks so good." But I compare those pictures to how she looks now, and it's amazing the change. She didn't look bad before, but now she's even gorgeous-er.

The occupational therapist came today and we showed off our new trick (I sound like I taught my puppy to beg). Alexis turned over from her stomach to her back, which she does on a regular basis. The OT was very impressed and also pleased that you can tell she's trying, and close to succeeding, at flipping from her back to her front. The OT also sat her up and I couldn't believe how close she is to sitting up unassisted. It almost brought tears to my eyes. Amazing how emotional this little girl makes me sometimes. Before her heart surgery, Alexis would be placed on her stomach and she would just lay there, barely even lifting up her head. You've come a long way, baby!

I'm loving the holiday season. Last year I was in a fog with all the news and feeling so overwhelmed by it all. (We learned of the d/s on Nov. 21 and of the duodenal atresia on Dec. 18) so I'm making up for it this year. The trees went up the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I have only 2 presents left to buy (I'll take voluteers for anyone who wants to wrap!) and the cards (with the exception of a few for which I need to confirm addresses) went out this morning. I've never been this far ahead of schedule. And the boys are so fun to watch, especially at this time of year. You should have seen Nicholas's face this morning when he realized it had snowed. Such joy! I wish adults felt that kind of joy with such simple things. (Read Facebook. NO adult was happy about the snow this morning.)

Side note: when I just wrote the above paragraph, I had to flip back to the very first post to get the December date. It was almost amusing to read of my relief that there was "no heart defect" and how upset I was that she'd be in the NICU for a whole 3 or 4 weeks. HA!

Hope you are enjoying the holiday season as much as I am this this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment