Monday, January 25, 2010

Add another doctor to the list


Let's just add another diagnosis and doctor to the list, shall we? I shouldn't complain. We are so fortunate and have 3 happy and healthy kids. But doggone it. I just got a call from Nicholas's pediatrician. He had his (very late) 6 year physical last week. Her only concern during that visit was that it looked a bit like his spine curved, but she couldn't be certain because he was a bit wiggly during the exam. So just as a precaution, she sent him to get an x-ray. Sure enough. She called this morning to confirm that Nicholas does in fact have scoliosis. It's very mild, but still, as a precaution, we now have to go see a pediatric orthopedic surgeon at St. Vincent. Most likely they'll just order regular x-rays to make sure it doesn't get worse.

I thought this week was going to calm down a bit. For the last two weeks, on top of getting ready for Blake's birthday party, we've had Lexi's 9 month exam, Nick's 6 year exam, both boys got H1N1 vaccines, Lexi's appointment with the geneticist and therapy evals at the genetics center, her regular OT and PT appointments, my dentist appointment, and Lexi's audiology screen (which, thankfully, she passed). Today Alexis had her 6 month First Steps review and her PT appointment. I thought we were done for a while, but now we'll add Nick's scoliosis consult to the calendar. And Lexi's OT and PT are going to be increased to once a week for each discipline. I was going to start talking to the boys about enrolling in t-ball or soccer but I can barely keep track of all these doctor appointments. I've always considered myself a pretty organized person, but I'm feeling a bit frazzled lately. Maybe I need a nap. I definitely need a bigger calendar. No, what I need is to stop complaining about my calandar and focus on my children.

We've also had our first glitch with the insurance company. Again, I shouldn't complain because as insurance frustrations go, this really is nothing, but it's still a frustration. Alexis is supposed to have a monthly RSV shot and she was due for it at the beginning of January. Unfortunately, something with our insurance changed on January 1, so I got a call from the doctor's office saying there was some confusion. I had to start by calling the specialty pharmacy, who referred me to an insurance lady, who said that I needed to call Alexis's case manager. It goes on from there and I won't bore you with the details, but it's now 3 weeks later and she still hasn't gotten this shot that she needs. Between needing a referral for Nicholas and this insurance thing with Alexis, I've been on the phone with someone at the pediatrician's office 5 times today and again I'm waiting on a return call from either the nurse at the pediatrician's office or from the new specialty pharmacy.

Okay. Enough of that. I'm done venting and going to go count my blessings now. 1, 2, 3........678, 679, 680.......1347, 1348, 1349......

No comments:

Post a Comment