Thursday, July 9, 2009

Cankles

Oh how I miss seeing my ankles...those lovely ankle bones that used to protrude just enough. Now I have permanent indentations from the only pair of flip flops that I can get on. My flower ankle tattoo has stretched out from the swelling in such a way that it looks like it's gotten a dose of Miracle Grow. I had talked to my OBGYN about the fat ankles soon after delivering Alexis and was put on a blood pressure medication for a short while. It didn't help with the swelling at all. I finally broke down and went to my regular doctor to see if there was anything she could do. Nada. She did feel that the swelling wasn't a sign of any bigger problems since my heart, lungs, and labs were all fine. She said that she would put me on a diuretic except that it's not a good idea to do it while I'm nursing because in addition to "drying up" the fluid in my ankles, it could also dry up my milk supply. My blood pressure was a bit high, so she did put me back on a high blood pressure med. When I'm done nursing I can call back and start on a diuretic then. So I'm stuck with cankles for a while I guess.

I'm a bit disgusted with my doctor after today's visit--not because she couldn't fix the fat ankles, but she didn't ooh or ahh over Alexis even once. That is simply unacceptable. Time to get a new doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment