Tuesday, April 14, 2009

1 week old




Alexis continues to do amazingly well. They were hoping to start hearing bowel sounds 10-14 days following the surgery and they were already hearing them yesterday. The tube that's in her mouth and drains all the ick from her stomach has been turned off. It's still in, but just running by gravity. If having this tube turned off doesn't cause her to vomit, they may remove the tube altogether tomorrow, and maybe even start feeding. Wow. WAY ahead of schedule. Her oxygen is at half the level today that it was yesterday and that too may be removed tomorrow. They also took her out of the bassinet with the heating lamp and put her in a real crib. Just like a real baby!

There's also a lot of stuff that I don't understand. Her direct bili count (which is different than her "regular" biliruben) is high. Her CBC is abnormal, but according to the neonatologist, "she just looks so good, it may just be due to the trisomy 21" and isn't worried.

Lexi has a large bump on her head and the neonatologists don't know why it's there. They aren't terribly concerned because there's no redness (which would be a sign of infection) but they may do an ultrasound to see if there's anything to be concerned about. I got to hold Lexi for a while this afternoon and when Mom came up to visit she got to hold Lexi for the first time.

I was so excited that my friend Julie came to see us today at the hospital. It was fun to run into several familiar faces in the cafeteria including my favorite nurse from maternal fetal medicine and the nurse from labor delivery. I said hi the the (male) resident OBGYN that delivered Lexi, but I didn't make eye contact. He knows me a little too, errr, intimately now. I also avoided contact with the lactation nazi. :)

1 comment:

  1. So wonderful to see you, kiss little princess for me today. I'm off to get her a Barbie.

    ReplyDelete