Tuesday, April 7, 2009

She's Here!!

Oh what a day! It was a long miserable night of cramping and other unpleasant events I won't go into detail about. So I had a feeling things were starting to progress but unsure. I had an appointment with Dr. Brazus at 9:20 who was astonished at my size when she walked in. I told her that if I didn't deliver this baby today, I'd be either suicidal or homicidal. I was up to 48 cm, 5 cm dilated and totally effaced. And she could feel the fluid sack hanging down and ready to burst. (Sorry for the gross details.) She wanted to call and ambulance or deliver me at Riverview but I refused and insisted Jason could drive me to Women's. No problem.

We got to Women's Hospital around 10:30 and they brought me straight to my room. My contractions were already 3 minutes apart. I had an epidural at 11:30 a.m. and no more pain. Glory!!! The big flood came at 12:15 (they broke my water--quickest weight loss program around). At 1:15 I was dilated to 10 and the doctors started moving in. The NICU team was here (4 of them), 2 OBGYN's, 2 nurses and a student nurse. Two contractions worth of pushes and she was out. So easy! Wish everyone could have such an easy delivery. Of course, following the baby's arrival, came the follow up flood of '09--all the fluid that was behind the baby came out soaking Jason and the dr. It was hysterical!

Alexis Elizabeth Smith was born at 1:34 p.m. on April 7, 2009. She is 5 lbs 12 oz and was 19" long. She was able to breath on her own, but wasn't getting enough oxygen so they placed a breathing tube while she was still in our room. We got to see her before she was taken to the NICU but I hadn't gotten to hold her yet. I had been told that if she had a breathing tube, I wouldn't be able to hold her because of all the tubing which made me very sad.

After an hour or so of recovery, we were taken to the recovery room, but first got to stop in at the NICU to see our little girl. Wires and tubes are everywhere and it breaks my heart to see it, but she's so beautiful! Her hair looks blonde, but they still haven't washed it, so it's a bit matted. But I was so grateful and surprised when the student nurse asked the NICU nurse if I could hold her and she said yes. Perfect.

Visitors today included all 4 grandparents, Aunt Paula, Christina, Tanya and Dr. Brazus. I was so touched that Dr. B. came to see us and especially happy when she told Jason she liked the name Alexis and he agreed to the name. If not for her, the Pop Pop's were going to name her Tsunami (not that Gramma Connie would be able to pronounce it). The surgery for the duodenal atresia has yet to be scheduled.

I'm feeling great and getting ready to head back to the NICU to see my baby. Still unsure when the boys will be by to meet their sister, but Nicholas is NOT in agreement with the name. God bless Uncle Josh for watching the boys today. Thank you to EVERYONE for all the love, prayers, kind words, and support. It means the world to us.


  1. YAAAAAY! I'm so happy for you guys!
    And thanks for the laugh...tsunami!

  2. Congratulations!! I missed the big announcement as we have been on spring break, but will be checking with you tomorrow from work. I would love to share the news with the DSI family!

    she's is beautiful!